Monday, November 9, 2015

Day 313: Apple Cinnamon Raisin compote with French Toast

I love breakfast, and among all the breakfast foods in all the lands, I love French toast the most.  For some reason, maybe because it's November, I woke up craving something with apples and cinnamon in it.  I figured since I'm still in the middle of my 30-day detox that there must be a simple way to make a fruit compote without using refined sugar.  I found a recipe here, and put a spin of my own on it by adding raisins.  This is actually a very easy and simple recipe to make, and really fun to do.  I enjoyed making it.  My family, in turn, enjoyed eating it!


The skillet with apples, raisins and cinnamon.



Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
2 apples, sliced
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 box of 1 oz raisins

Directions:
1.  After prepping a non-stick skillet with cooking spray or oil, melt butter in the pan over low to medium heat.
2.  Add the sliced apples, sauteeing for about 5-8 minutes, taking care not to burn them.
3.  Once the apples are soft enough, add the cinnamon and maple syrup, cooking over low heat for another few minutes.
4.  Add the raisins and spoon over French toast, or pancakes.

One thing to mention is make sure the apple slices are about 1/2-1/4 of an inch thick.  When they are cut thinner, they cook well and all the way through.  Though you might be tempted to use an apple cutter (as I was) unless it makes thin slices, don't bother - just use a regular knife.  The recipe also mentions a recipe for French toast, but since I'm not using refined sugar, I did my tried and true recipe that you can find here.  

French toast cut into quarters for my tots.


Violà!  Breakfast is served!


No comments:

Post a Comment